Chess as a Recreational activity for a Neurodivergent

Настройки

Chess, Yes! the complex yet thought-provoking strategy board game that involves cognitive abilities such as planning, analysis and problem-solving.

The chess board game is an effective therapeutic activity since it stimulates cognitive abilities such as concentration, memory, attention, spatial visualization, abstract reasoning and the making of decisions.

Those very abilities can improve a neurodivergent's intellectual development and can be very beneficial in self-control and social-emotional skills, given that the learner has an interest and is supported by a professional chess player or someone that has an experience with chess it can be beneficial to them.

Take the example of this year's Malaysian crowned women's chess champion 13-year-old autistic player Ainul Mardhiah.

Ainul began playing chess at age 11 in October 2021 during the Covid 19 pandemic. Her father taught her the basics of chess, and first, she played online chess. Later on, she was coached various chess players.

When she became more confident, she commenced playing over the board, under the watchful eyes and guidance of her parents.

the main challenge, faced by Ainul in the game of chess, is how to control her emotions. being Autistic she feels intense emotions. If she wins, her joy is more intense than others. Similarly, when she loses, the disappointment is also deeper. Still, her autism gives her an ability for pattern recognition and photographic-like memory.

She wears many hats and has achieved so many winnings and continues to achieve more through chess. I can say that when her dad saw she could move she simply made a better one by breaking barriers as a neurodivergent, don't you think?💪

Тэги темы:

Комментарии

• MikkiTarz
    Настройки

As a great lover of chess myself, I'd say its quiet impressive achieving that feat. I've gotten the pleasure to participate at national level twice and it was nerve racking. I'm happy for her that she found her flow and even happier that her dad kept on encouraging her to it showing her through the ropes. At times all we need is someone to believe in us and to push us. I can't wait to see what the future lies in store for her. I'm sure she'll make more and more strides.

• SarahBosibori
    Настройки

I really got inspired by the resilience within her because chess is a game that really involves patience and a lot of concentration.

• Wilie
    Настройки

I believe the game's emphasis on critical thinking, planning, and problem-solving aligns well with the strengths of many neurodivergent. Engaging in chess fosters a sense of accomplishment as one excels in a domain that values their analytical abilities. Moreover, the clear rules and predictability of chess can offer a sense of control and structure, which can be particularly comforting for those who may struggle with uncertainty. Ainul is a true record breaker🤩.

Разделы