Gaming as a Recreational Activity for PWDs

Настройки

Video gaming has been existing in Kenya since the 1980s Arcade games were introduced when Sarit Center was opened and from then a chain of more arcades opened.

If you were a 90s kid like myself you could remember that in school we were introduced to Sega games after one theory lesson on computers and the second lesson which was a practical lesson that the teacher would reward you with a game you could play with your classmate. The Sega games include Supersonic the Hedgehog, dangerous dave, Aladin and many more.

Mobile games followed with Nokia having Snake, Space Impact, and Bounce with every child being glued to their parent's phones, and their sibling's phones just to have the chance to beat high scores.

Nintendo Gameboy Consoles followed the same goes with the PlayStation.

The gaming industry has always been a great social activity, especially for pwds. It helps with social interactions because you get to share the challenges you encounter during levels or phases in a game and even give each other solutions.

Gaming can also be a way of earning, gaming tournaments are held up annually or regularly depending on where you are. In Kenya we have tournaments brought up once in a while by Blaze by Safaricom or Ace Pro Gaming which is an esports company based in Kenya.

They provide platforms that allow gamers to engage and compete amongst other gamers for cash prices and are a way of building gaming communities too.

Is gaming a way of identifying talent? YES

games can give a sense of control that may not be felt in the 'real world'. most of us love that we can escape the neurotypical world and have a sense of peace just like therapy can be for any person.

Which can be very beneficial The more we engage and improve the more we build-up a whole new skill

How do you find gaming?

Тэги темы:

Комментарии

• MikkiTarz
    Настройки

Great memories. I remember downloading games in waptrick.com and wapdam.com. From starting off with Brick game, Game boy, to PS 1,PS 2, PSP & PSPVITA, to playing NFS MOST WANTED and Asphalt. For those moments I could still be able to exercise my competitive nature as I played with friends. This gave me the chance to play against others since after getting injured and having to use crutches few things would get me interested and even fewer things would get me the chance to still interact with my friends. Thanks @SarahBosibori

• BKiwu
    BKiwu ✭✭✭✭✭
    Настройки

I was a legend for Snake on Nokia 1100 phone.😂 Remember Road Rash by Electronic Arts? Then King of the Road, which was overtaken by Euro Truck. Need For Speed?

Gaming is therapeutic for persons with disabilities. You'd be surprised to know that Microsoft uses Minecraft in its recruitment process for persons with neurological disabilities like autism.

• Wilie
    Настройки

Through accessible game design and adaptive technologies, the gaming industry has made remarkable strides in ensuring that PWDs can participate and thrive in virtual worlds. Gaming provides an inclusive space where physical limitations become less relevant, enabling individuals to compete, strategize, and explore on equal footing. Beyond entertainment, gaming can enhance cognitive skills, problem-solving abilities, and fine motor control, offering therapeutic benefits. Personally, playing games like FIFA, Euro Truck, NFS, and GTA, has promoted improved my dope and helped during a transition in life where you are faced with boredom, loneliness and even battling depression at times.

Разделы