The Disability card is the gateway to endless opportunities, the document has promising benefits in terms of accessing services. the benefits according to Julisha Info are as follows;
- Access to assistive devices; you can apply to be issued with enabling devices such as wheelchairs, crutches, hearing aids, callipers, surgical boots and prosthetic arms or legs. NCPWD and its partners provide these.
- Economic empowerment: you can benefit from grants that help Persons with Disabilities gain self-sufficiency through income-generating activities such as agriculture, rearing livestock, bead making, shopkeeping etc.
- Education assistance: an individual or a guardian can easily apply for education support for fees that is available for persons with disabilities from Primary, Secondary, Colleges, Vocational Training Schools and Universities. NCPWD makes payments directly to the institution and does give these funds to the beneficiary.
- Cash transfers: NCPWD oversees the Persons with Severe Disabilities Cash Transfer (PWSD-CT). This is meant to improve the livelihoods of persons with severe disabilities by providing cash assistance to support their caregivers.
- Albinism support and sunscreen provision In Kenya, all persons with albinism registered by the NCPWD are provided with a bottle of sunscreen lotion every month. 180 hospitals and health clinics are used as distribution centres across the country.
- Tax exemption certificate: Registering with the NCPWD helps one obtain verification for exemption from paying taxes in Kenya. Under Kenyan laws, persons with disabilities are granted a tax exemption on their monthly or annual income. This exemption applies to the first Ksh150, 000 per month or for the first Ksh1.8 million per year.
The only question is how many of us are benefiting from these promising benefits? How many Kenyans are enjoying the services?
Is it just a myth?
Why is it a tedious process?
Is it part of politics?
There are many questions that are left unanswered, How can we make these cards reach every Kenyan Living with a disability? How can parents benefit when taking their children to the hospital?
The issue of having to be ignorant to, that trait is all over and corruption too.
Awareness creation. Luckily, nowadays there are many platforms to do that, the only problem would be on the consistency of the information given