Join the community

Register now

How do you think social media affects your mental health?

Social media has been known to make everything perfect, probably the best lifestyle, perfect relationship, perfect moments. Since there are few PwD involved, it makes one feel that unless that's the life you have, you have not made it.

For me I think, social media creates for PwD a societal pressure and can affect one's mental health negatively.

Answers

• MikkiTarzMikkiTarz ke ✭✭✭

Yes social media has created an unnecessary pressure and affected mental health negatively. For people are in constant comparison of the life they see and what they live. For me personally, I kept of the socials ever since and when I joined it was purely to showcase my art out there. Cause after an interview, I was asked for my handles and I didn't have any and that's when I was urged to create an online presence. The positive of it is I've grown with my art and gotten exposed to more competitions but haven't taken my life into the social spaces cause they don't need to know everything.

• verogakioverogakio ke ✭✭✭

Social media has created lots of negative impact as there are lots of depressing topics of late. But there are also positive things eg my business is typically online thru social media and I do get clients there.

• BKiwuBKiwu ke ✭✭✭

I tend to think social media serves you what you are looking for. For me, I look at what social media will give me and not what I will give social media. For instance, its easy to get intimidated by the impressive career and job related postings on LinkedIn. CEO, Manager, founder etc. But once you think of it as a free access to ideas and exchange of thought, the pressure to present something perfect dies down. And so for me, if the platform is not building to my individual knowledge, I just pull out. With that, peer pressure to belong in certain platforms becomes a non-issue. And you keep your mental health intact.

• Social media is a place which can make you celebrity within short time. Social media is a Platform which can destroy your life within a short time. It Totally depends on you how you are using an exploring. Wherever you are, you must be with your patience and self control.

• I think now these days, social media affecting a lot to my health. I cannot even sleep without using WhatsApp or I should say I cannot even leave without using my WhatsApp for whole day. Even my mind knows that this is not great but still as we addicted a lot to a social media, we have to stop doing like this. This is affecting to our mental health and its taking toal also

• Brian54Brian54 ✭✭✭

It is equal parts good and bad. I think Social media can offer a lot of good resources to help you become better but at the same time it can adversely affect you because of all the negativity that exists

• I don't think so. It depends on mentality of people

• I don't think social media affects our mental health. It may adict us, but at the end of the day it depends explicitly on that particular person.