Join the community

Register now

What is the one positive thing that keeps you going?

When I first became disabled, after my leg injury, I felt like I'm going to bounce back from this. At 7 years, I was already a good athlete participating in short races, sprints and soccer. I loved soccer more and with that the gifts I'd get much was balls. This was the time Thierry Henry was on a high, and my name being Heri, people coined it to be Henry, and soon I was the little Thierry Henry. But that dream will be short lived with an injury, July 2007. Owing to my condition hemophilia, that too sored any hopes of me ever getting well. So after 4 surgeries in the years 2007, '09, '10 and '12, and 2 skingrafts, I knew this was my life now I need to make the most out of it.

Since I was disabled at a young age, I didn't get to enjoy going out , unless I was going to school if not I spent time in. I got to read more and hence got better in my English and later on in life when poetry came calling in 2017, I took to it. I already loved singing and I could draw, but with poetry, I had the words to finally express what I feel but more so what others around me feel hence mirror the society. I was inspired to keep writing and writing some more. Writing gave me purpose and with it a sense of self worth cause I still had value, value that I thought I lost. I love nature, and that is what heavily inspires my pieces but I write on many themes seeking to inspire people, touching and impacting lives with words. The poem below tries to explain all this. This poem also tries to show how with something positive, one can live a more meaningful life. Let's all look for that light.

My Story

My heart was blown into pieces

When my world changed overnight

And I had to start over in a new life

Yes it's been 15 years, but I've still not fully embraced

And so when I began writing poems

They were little pieces of words on a paper

Each piece of poem to fill the vacuum of pieces of my heart

So now at 6000 poems and going, guess my heart blew to many pieces

But I'm glad that my heart blew into art

Cause with each piece I piece a whole new world

A world where while experimenting I drew a smile

And since I drew it it's always been on me

And with each piece I write ✍

Shows what kind of heart I have

It was big enough to accommodate the world

And it's through art that people get to also see it's glory

The PO£T

Comments

• BKiwuBKiwu ke ✭✭✭

I love the way you provide a backstory to the poems you write. It helps to provide context to those of us trying to find our feet in poetry. It also brings out the transition from plain text articles to poems, and the wordplay involved. Keep on keeping on @MikkiTarz

• Thanks @BKiwu

• Thank you for sharing 😊

• verogakioverogakio ke ✭✭✭

This is encouraging. Thanks for sharing your story and the poem. Keep souring