Join the community

Register now

Disability Symbol. What is it?

Accessibility has always been represented by a wheelchair symbol. what symbol represents the diverse domains of disability?

Best Answers

• BKiwuBKiwu ke ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Sometimes it's a wheelchair or an ear with some waves in it..for the hearing impaired. But the wheelchair one is the most commonly accepted and least confused for disability..I think it's a social construct depending on the society one lives in. For example, when one sees a cross in a white background you know that's Red Cross and its a healthcare/emergency related organisation. If you go to Islamic countries, it's the Red Crescent so the Cross is somehow subdued. In advanced countries, all the visible disabilities have a symbol that is easily understood in key installations such as a symbol for the blind on traffic lights and train stations. That's why I think disability symbols and their meanings are a product of how a society views disability (social construct).

• verogakioverogakio ke ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Quite true

• KingndedaKingndeda ke ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

wow! that was quite insightful @nyakianda and @BKiwu . having multiple symbols for diverse disabilities sounds interesting but i would prefer the wheelchair one since,as a medium of accessibilty, in emergency situations it may be used by anyone. Persons with disabilities,the elderly , pregnant women ,or any other person who might have limited mobility.

it kinda universal

• BKiwuBKiwu ke ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hapo sawa @Kingndeda