Join the community

Register now

calorie consumption in a wheelchair

Hello all

I would like to know how many calories one consumes in a wheelchair, i.e. when using it normally and without electric drive or additional aids. can this be compared to walking? I would appreciate a quick answer.

Kind regards

The posts from this dummy user come from real users from the German-speaking community throughout the 15 year-long exchange on the forum.

Comments

• Response 1:

Calorie consumption is usually lower for wheelchair users than for pedestrians. This is because when we walk, the largest muscle in our body, the thigh muscle, works and burns a lot of sugar. The muscles in our arms are smaller and wheelchair riding is usually less strenuous than walking. That is why the calorie consumption is lower here. However, this cannot be generalised. If you have to exert yourself more because of your disability or if you have to go uphill a lot, you will logically burn more.

But you can still lose weight if you know how to get your body to burn fat. It is not the case that the more I exert myself, the more I lose weight. On the contrary, if you spend many hours a week outside in a wheelchair instead of taking the most strenuous routes, you will automatically burn off fat. With a normal diet, you can lose a few kilos over the summer without dieting.

Response 2:

It seems that all my contributions were not sent yesterday.

Second attempt (-:

How many calories a person consumes varies greatly. It is impossible to say what you consume per activity or at rest without measuring it. I can only give you comparative values. A thirty-year-old woman consumes about 1400-1500kcal per day at rest. This is called basal metabolic rate. If you do sport, you will consume about 1000-2000kcal/day on top of that. We can assume that if you are mostly sedentary with some exercise, your calorie consumption will probably be around 2500kcal. If you drive around town all day in a wheelchair, it could be as much as 3500kcal-4000kcal. This depends on how much you have ridden uphill or downhill.

If you want to lose weight, I don't recommend counting calories, nor do I recommend physical exertion. If you exert yourself, your metabolism will change and it will break down muscle instead of fat. If you pay too much attention to every single thing you eat, you will get tired of it too quickly and get cravings that will frustrate you.

Response 3:

Well, I have quite "different" experiences to offer. I used to weigh over 100kg at a height of about 1.7m.

Within half a year I lost 34kg, with a few simple rules.

- I knew the calorie table inside out.

- I simply left out everything that was not important for me.

That means: sweets, meat, fish, and that for over 10 years.

- Regular exercise, not to burn calories, but for my well-being.

for my well-being.

- Never take the lift or the escalator, but the stairs. ALWAYS!

Now for the real sticking point:

I have been in a wheelchair for 3 years because of paraplegia. But from past experience, I have known exactly how I should shape my eating behaviour. The sad truth is still that most people simply eat too much and the wrong things. The positive news is that the stomach is a genius and gets used to such changes very quickly (shorter biting time).

In conclusion: During my rehab, I used to do laps outside between therapies to get fit as quickly as possible. Others enjoyed a coffee with a piece of cake during these times. They have all gained weight.😀

That should prove my point?..?

It is enough to exercise regularly and adapt your diet to your metabolism. Then you will automatically lose weight without feeling like you are on a diet. Exercise also increases your basal metabolic rate. Even a walk on wheels is exercise. This increased calorie consumption lasts for 12-24 hours after exercise. You can take advantage of this. Example:

Eat carbohydrates mainly in the morning, but always eat something before exercise. Avoid carbohydrates completely in the evening.

If you eat protein-containing food before exercise until 20 minutes after exercise at the latest, the muscles that are being used will be nourished. More muscles mean more endurance when rolling and more calories burned.

Eat healthy food with little fat, moderate carbohydrates, moderate protein and lots of salad, vegetables and fruit. But also indulge in what you love in an adequate dose. If you don't give up anything you love, you won't get food cravings. Coupled with regular exercise, you will lose weight all by yourself and feel great.

Have fun outdoors in the fresh air.

The posts from this dummy user come from real users from the German-speaking community throughout the 15 year-long exchange on the forum.