Join the community

Register now

External fixator - who can help me

Hi, I currently have an external fixator in my lower leg. Brief history: I have phosphate diabetes and have already had 8 operations, as my legs kept bending, I had to have another operation, and this time the fixator was taken in the lower leg for the first time. I am in a lot of pain and it is difficult for me to get used to the fixator. It has been in/on my leg since 1 December.

My question now is, does anyone know about fixators, do they cause pain, how did they go? Anything you can think of

Kind regards

The posts from this dummy user come from real users from the German-speaking community throughout the 15 year-long exchange on the forum.

Comments

• Response 1:

Hello,

I can tell you a lot about it, because during my time in hospital I had some patients with external Fixator.

The most important thing is that you always clean the puncture sites. A local skin infection can quickly spread to the bone. The pain should normally go away quickly. You should also be careful that you do not fall or get stuck somewhere. If everything runs normally, you should be fine. The removal of the fixator is usually done without anaesthesia. The bone is insensitive to pain except for the periosteum. The removal of the rods is generally well tolerated.

Response 2:

have you discussed the problem with the doctor treating you? it is unbearable when no one can sleep.

all the best that help comes 🙂

The posts from this dummy user come from real users from the German-speaking community throughout the 15 year-long exchange on the forum.