Join the community

Register now

C8 syndrome treatment

Good day,

I had a serious accident at work a few years ago! It affected my spine, lungs and left hand! The spine was screwed together in the area of the thoracic spine, i.e. stiffened! At first, the left hand was called Sulcus Ulnaris Syndrome! One doctor said it was no problem, every second person has it and I shouldn't be like that!

Now the whole thing got worse, so I went to a doctor and asked what was going on (in the meantime it also affects the arm), the nerve doctor simply said it was partial paralysis! I was shocked....

A neurologist who then measured this (arm) spoke of C8 syndrome. C8 is the nerve root that supplies the C7 cervical vertebra. The arm plexus would also be damaged!

Now my real question - how is a C8 syndrome treated or how can I alleviate the problem! At the moment it has an effect (pain in the neck area)- which becomes noticeable through headaches (anyone who has migraines ...).

Who can tell me something about this? Where can I find neurologists who know more about this?

Thank you

The posts from this dummy user come from real users from the German-speaking community throughout the 15 year-long exchange on the forum.

Comments

• Response 1:

Thank you for your enquiry.

A psychological tip: Before falling asleep, you can wander through your own body with your focus, i.e. gently try to feel the whole body from the tips of your toes from the inside, without any pressure, just gently feel all parts of the body, feel that they are alive. This can have a relaxing effect. Drink plenty of fluids (e.g. boiled and thus germ-free water) for the headache. A relaxation CD (e.g. for falling asleep) could also have a positive effect. There is one called "Sea", for example. The effectiveness of this CD has been proven by scientific studies.

Supplementary: Simply go to nature, relax there and hug a big tree for a longer time. It may sound a bit strange, but trees have a calm vital energy that can be positively transmitted to people.

With many greetings

Response 2:

The biggest problem is really the fact that the whole thing was caused by an accident or that your spine is stiff. This precludes the elimination of the cause and therefore only symptom treatment remains...

I received pretty much the same tips from doctors as A1 has already given you. Instead of heat, some people also react positively to cold. Manual therapies (massages) also often help to provide relief.

A doctor friend of mine (who I'm sure only wants to do me good) also said that the option of injections is harmless.

Beyond that, there are then only painkillers and muscle relaxants....

Response 3:

You have already received some qualified answers. As a medical doctor, it is important for me to state that the basis for a promising treatment is a trusting relationship with a doctor of your choice. Often this is the family doctor, who makes the path through the health care system a little easier. But it may also be the neurosurgeon who suggested an injection therapy.

Basically, this form of therapy is a quite harmless procedure to combat pain that arises in the spinal area but is transmitted along nerve pathways, at least temporarily. Of course, certain side effects are also conceivable here, which your doctor will certainly be happy to explain to you in detail. Fortunately, the fact that your arm could become "stiff" is an extremely rare complication, if not one that can be ruled out altogether.

Your doctors may have already ordered an MRI scan. If not, there is at least the possibility of asking your doctors whether this examination might not be useful in your specific case before an operation.

A major surgical procedure is certainly not an option until paralysis occurs. However, your neurosurgeon will have already ruled this out.

I hope I have helped you a little and wish you a speedy recovery.

The posts from this dummy user come from real users from the German-speaking community throughout the 15 year-long exchange on the forum.