Essential tremour diagnosed. Some questions about living with it

My husband is 28 yars old. A few months ago he started getting shaky hands when hold small things (e.g. a spoon) and went yesterday to the neurologist. There he received the diagnosis of an essential tremor. The doctor told him that it's hereditary but not life-threatening. That's it. We obviously have a lot of questions.

1. How much will the shaking impair his life if it keeps progressing?

2. He needs to take Beta blockers. Do they really help and how great are the side effects in general?

3. We have two children. Will they inherit it?

4. We actually wanted to have another child - is it irresponsible to bring a child into the world when you know that they could inherit this condition? Is that cruel? Or is it easy to cope with?

5. Are there other things (Sport, Nutrition etc.) which have a positive effect on the condition or anything we should watch out for?

As you can see, we have a lot of uncertainty.

Thanks for your help!

The posts from this dummy user come from real users from the German-speaking community throughout the 15 year-long exchange on the forum.

Comments

• Response 1:

1. Only the future will tell. Go to a university hospital for a diagnosis, a run of the mill neurologist is probably overwhelmed with it, it is a rare disease.

2. beta blockers can help, you have to try them.

3. This is also unclear, if you have an exact diagnosis, seek human genetic advice.

4. see answer number 3.

5. It probably doesn't matter. What is important is first of all a well-founded, precise diagnosis.

Response 2:

Welcome to the forum. Also greetings to your husband. Essential tremor is not a diagnosis, it's only a symptom. I have had head tremor for several years, sometimes more and sometimes less severe. I take a small dose of Rivotril.

My head shakes more when I am stressed and also when there are many people in the room and the air is very thin. Sometimes my whole body shakes uncontrollably. I am suspected of having a complicated form of HSP (hereditary spastic spinal paralysis). Genetic clarification is underway.

Now to your questions:

1. there are medications that limit the tremors. Good neurological care is important. If you live in a small village... well, the "village neurologists" are usually really overwhelmed and as I read from your post, nobody wants to take the trouble to make a clear diagnosis with your husband anyway? How quickly it will progress... with or without a diagnosis, nobody really knows. One can only speculate.

2. beta-blockers can help, because they calm down a bit.

3. I also have children, but they don't tremble.

4. you have to decide for yourself.

5. avoid stress.

... but these are (only) my experiences and opinions.

I would also recommend that you see a competent neurologist and investigate the cause. That can take time. Good luck!

The posts from this dummy user come from real users from the German-speaking community throughout the 15 year-long exchange on the forum.