Is a bump normal after spinal stenosis surgery?

I have been operated on twice since February for spinal stenosis.

After both the first and the second operation, I have a large "bump" near the scar. It hurts sometimes and varies in size depending on what I do (from tangerine to grapefruit). Is this normal?

The posts from this dummy user come from real users from the German-speaking community throughout the 15 year-long exchange on the forum.

Comments

• Response 1:

The "bump" you are talking about could have been post-operative bleeding (which is common) and is called a haematoma. Depending on the procedure and the condition of the tissue under the skin, this is sometimes more or sometimes less the case. After the second operation, a wound drain was put in so that the blood could drain out. That's probably why there was no bump. The doctor decides in the course of the operation whether to put in a drain. Sometimes he is right and sometimes he is wrong. If they had punctured the bump they would have gotten immediate information about it, But this was obviously not done. The bump / hematoma (if it is one) disappears again if it is small. The body's own substances regulate it on their own. If the haematoma is too large, it can encapsulate itself and the only option is surgical removal.

The posts from this dummy user come from real users from the German-speaking community throughout the 15 year-long exchange on the forum.