Mum is losing her big toe

Hello,

I don't know if I'm in the right place, but I ended up here while googling advice. I have already read quite a few things and am more and more confused.

My mum (69) is diabetic and has had problems with her feet for many years. She has had several operations on her lower right leg, etc... So far it has always turned out well, but now, after a knock, part of her left big toe has turned black and she will probably have to have it amputated tomorrow. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it still possible to walk without the big toe or will she not be mobile at all? Does anyone have any experience with rehab or aids?

I am grateful for any advice and experience, because at the moment I am just confused and don't know how to comfort my mum....

The posts from this dummy user come from real users from the German-speaking community throughout the 15 year-long exchange on the forum.

Comments

• Response 1:

First of all...don't panic. So...you usually only amputate the affected part. That means that you leave the base joint (at the very back of the toe) in place if possible. That way the function (balance) remains.

The missing part can be compensated for in the shoe with an insert.

If it has to be removed, there are enough measures today to keep the handicap as small as possible.

The doctors or the social services in the hospital can help you with this.

Response by author of original post:

Thank you for your answer. You're right, of course, there's no point in panicking, but I'm still afraid for Mum. Thank you also for your comments, I will try again later at the hospital to get more precise information on how things can continue after the operation.

The posts from this dummy user come from real users from the German-speaking community throughout the 15 year-long exchange on the forum.