How long does it take before you can properly walk with a prosthesis?

I've had a lower leg prosthesis for four weeks. Around how long does it take before I can properly walk? I couldn't put any weight on the leg for 6 months, and now I'm acting like a Neanderthal.

The posts from this dummy user come from real users from the German-speaking community throughout the 15 year-long exchange on the forum.

Comments

• Response 1:

Hello,

The lenght of time it takes to walk properly with a prosthesis depends on several factors. How well has the limb healed, how well does the prosthesis fit and where do you go for rehabilitation etc.? If you have any questions, just let me know. Best regards

Response 2:

I think it's different for everyone, because you can influence it a lot yourself. You just have to practise as often as you can, but of course don't overdo it.

You should also find out about a walking school in your area that will help you to walk properly with a prosthesis. (I had good experience with it when I had my knee amputated about 1 1/2 years ago). It also all depends on the respective prosthesis and to what extent it supports you in walking. An orthopaedic professional can tell you more about this. In any case you will soon be able to lead an active life again.

Don't give up, keep at it even when it's hard!

The posts from this dummy user come from real users from the German-speaking community throughout the 15 year-long exchange on the forum.